The official language of Belize is English and is spoken widely in San Pedro. Most locals also speak Spanish.
- Emergency Numbers
- 911 will connect you to the local police station wherever you are in the country of Belize including on Ambergris Caye. The police will be able to render assistance in almost any circumstance. They will also alert the Fire Department and summon an ambulance if needed.
- Other contact # in San Pedro are:
- The police - 911 or 226-2022.
- Fire Department - 226-2372.
- Medical (Lions Clinic) - 2073 or VHF Radio 147.550.
- Medical (San Pedro Health Center) - 226-3668
- Hyperbaric Chamber - 226-2851.
- Belize Tourism Board - 223-1913
- Belize Tourism Industry Association 223-3507.
- Belize operates on Central Standard Time all year. No Daylight Savings Time is observed.
- Banking Hours
Banks are open for business transactions from 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. from Monday through Thursday. On Friday banks close at 4:30 p.m. Some banks are opened on Saturday morning. Check with your hotel for more information.
- Business Hours
Most businesses open at 8:00 a.m. close for lunch at 12:00 noon, reopen at 1:00 p.m. and close at 5:00 p.m.
- Post Office
The Ambergris Caye Post Office is open Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon then 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Most resorts or hotels provide telephone access. In addition there are several pay phones in the center of San Pedro Town and at the offices of the Belize Telecommunications Limited Office during normal working hours.
- Fees and Taxes
* Hotel Tax: 9% room tax is added to your hotel bill
* Sales Tax: 9% is added to most goods and services
- * Departure Tax:
- -US $35.00 when departing the International Airport (US cash only)
- -US $18.75 or BZ $37.50 when departing by land (to Mexico or Guatemala)
- -US $3.75 or BZ $7.50 when departing by Sea to an International destination
A valid drivers license is required to rent a vehicle (golf carts are considered vehicles). Traffic laws are similar to those in other countries around the world. Driving is done on the right hand side of the road.
Belize has strict laws on the use of illegal drugs; violators are charged large fines and even sentenced to prison terms. Enough said.
It is illegal to take firearms or ammunition in or out of Belize.
- Almost every major religious denomination can be found on Ambergris Caye. Make inquires at your hotels front desk.